Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Taco Tuesday!!

I'm really not sure why, but Taco Tuesday never fails to make me happy.

Simple dinner, happy family... I guess it's not a big mystery.

We do our tacos "Taco Johns' Style"  - meaning that we take a soft, flour tortilla (warmed in the microwave for a few seconds) - spread it with some refried beans and then wrap it around a crispy, corn taco shell filled with meat, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce & salsa. 

It's easier for kiddos to handle, less messy for the adults and, honestly, don't refried beans just taste SO good??

For the taco meat, I don't use the taco seasoning packets, but you can if you like.  If you want to do your own, here's how:
Brown the beef
when browned but still with some juices in pan, add:
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- dash of dried onion (if you like)
salt & pepper to taste
then just brown it off until the juices are fully evaporated & serve it up.

In case you don't agree with me about the refritos... here's my secret:  Bacon fat.  Yep, not gonna lie.  I buy the vegetarian refried beans (because I read the ingredients once).  I feel SO virtuous at the grocery store and then I come home, plop that mess into a sauce pan with a dollop of bacon grease.  Melt it all together and enjoy the happiness that only pork-fat can render (pun intended). 

Happy Taco Tuesday!!  Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, bacon grease and refried beans. Have you ever had Rosa's Tortilla Factory's beans? I think they put bacon grease in them. I mean, what are refried beans without bacon??

    ReplyDelete