Monday, January 31, 2011

Chickpea Stew with Polenta

This is from the Cooking Light "Quick & Easy Soups" cookbook.  I got this from my stepmom for Christmas and I LOVE it!!  Several recipes on the way from this book.

4 Cups Water
1 Cup Instant Dry Polenta
1 TB Butter
- Make polenta per package instructions & set aside.  It'll hold it's heat for the 15 minutes it takes to do the rest.

1 TB Olive Oil
1 sm Onion, Chopped
1 1/2 tsp bottled, minced garlic
1/4 C lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
1 tsp ground Cumin
Black Pepper - to taste
2 (15 oz) cans ChickPeas (rinse/drain)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (do NOT drain)

Saute the onions/garlic in the olive oil until translucent.  Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes.

Toppings:
chopped green onions (I added some chopped cilantro instead and it was good - but onions would be great too)
Sour Cream (low fat)

In a low/shallow bowl, spread the polenta and then top with a ladle of the stew.  Put a dollop of sour cream over each bowl and sprinkle with the onions.



This was really good.  Vegetarian too (MICHELLE!) :)

1 comment:

  1. We had this tonight and loved it! The changes I made (because I used what I had on hand) were: Quinoa instead of polenta, lime instead of lemon, and I added turkey smoked sausage - sauteed with the onion and garlic. Yum! Next time, I think I will try navy or northern beans because my husband just informed me he's not crazy about garbanzo beans.

    ReplyDelete