Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

This came from Family Circle Magazine this month.  I didn't take a photo because, and let's be honest here, pot roast isn't ever pretty.  It tastes amazing but it's not pretty.  Okay, Annie might know how to make a pot roast pretty.  But I don't.  So no pic... just trust me - this is the goods.

Into the Crock Pot (in this order):

1 Beef Chuck Roast (3-4 #)
Salt & Pepper to taste
4-5 Carrots, peeled then cut into 3" lengths, then quarter
4-5 Parsnips, same as carrots
1 Onion, chopped
2 Rutabagas, peeled/chopped (I added this but it was GOOD)
1 14 oz can beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
1 bay leave

Pop the lid on and cook on LOW for 10 hours. 

After 10 hours, remove the meat & veggies to a covered spot to keep warm (you can shred the meat a bit and get rid of any icky bits).

3 TB butter
3 TB flour
Mix together the flour/butter and whisk into the broth.  Then pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil (whisk it lots to keep it from scorching).  Serve over the meat & veggies.

This is sooooo not vegetarian but your house will smell like home and you'll be willing to pay the debt to karma for food this comforting.  This felt like cooking from my dad & grandma and eating it felt like a big hug.  I'm sure a therapist somewhere has something to say about that but I'll just slip into my glass of wine and be okay with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment