Monday, November 15, 2010

Soul Food... for a Yankee girl

Okay, I am the first to admit that I am the whitest girl in America.  I have zero "soul" -- no rhythm at all.  And I'm sure any Southern cook worth her grits would mock tonights dinner.  However, it's super easy, tasty, not awfully fattening and on the table in 30 minutes.  Can't beat that!

1.) Make the cornbread.  I use the old-fashioned box of Jiffy mix and I follow the directions.  Fantastic.

2.) In an oven proof, hot skillet, sear the outsides of the pork chops (I bought the thicker ones this time).  Then pop it in the oven alongside the cornbread until it registers done on a meat thermometer.

3.) Open up a can of Glory brand mixed greens and heat on the stove.

4.) Open up a can of Glory brand butter beans and heat on the stove.

15 minutes later you're serving dinner.  I'm not ordinarily a big fan of canned vegetables but I have tried to make my own greens and they are NOT as good as these Glory ones.  You can find them in the supermarket in the canned foods aisle. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment