Sunday, November 7, 2010

Roast Pork, Stuffing & Cranberry Chutney

I will do a whole post about Cranberry Chutney when we get closer to Thanksgiving.  It's become my signature item on the big day, but it's equally as wonderful with roast pork, chicken or turkey.  I got this recipe from a friend many years ago and my only tweak has been to consistently double the recipe.  So here's my version, amd sometimes I even double this.  The ginger in it acts as a preservative so it keeps for weeks at the back of the fridge.  It's also a wonderful hostess gift this time of year, in a nice glass jar.

1 bag fresh cranberries, rinsed & picked over
1 7 oz bag dried apricots, roughly chopped
1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
2/3 C dried currants
1/4 minced fresh ginger (peel it and then put into food processor until finely chopped)
1/4 C apple or cranberry juice (or water)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne

Combine it all in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan and heat over medium until all of the sugar is melted and glossy (no visible grains when you stir).  Turn up the heat and bring to a rolling boil.  Allow it to boil hard for 3 full minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool in a glass bowl. 

PORK ROAST:
I was thinking of a more "roasty" roast, but all they has was a loin.  So I'm going to coat the outside with pepper, sage, salt and thyme and then sear it in a heavy cast iron pan on all sides.  Then into the oven at 375 for about an hour (I use a meat thermometer and follow the instructions on it).

STUFFING:
This is how my grandmother made it, except she made her own breading.  I buy the Pepperidge Farm cubes.  Everything else is same:

1 stick butter
1 white onion, finely chopped
3-4 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 eggs - scrambled
Bread cubes
SAGE
Salt & Pepper

Saute the onion & celery in the butter.  Pour the bread into a large bowl, pour over the butter & onions/celery.  Stir to coat everything in the butter.  Pour over the raw eggs and season with sage (1-2 tsp) and then ground pepper (put in pepper until you think "that's too much" then do a bit more) and a bit of salt.  If the cubes are still really dry you can add in some chicken broth but my husband HATES soggy bread so I usually err on the side of drier stuffing.

Put the stuffing into a casserole dish, cover tightly with foil and bake alongside the pork.  Yummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment