Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pepper Jelly Glazed Chicken Salad

You could probably use a firm tofu to make this vegetarian or shrimp if you're so inclined.  But I glazed boneless skinless chicken breasts with a mixture of red wine vinegar and red jalapeno pepper jelly.  This produces a smoky/spicy/sweet glaze.   I am totally ripping this idea off of Kent Rathbun a chef here in Dallas whom I absolutely ADORE.   My salad is decidedly less fancy but has that same zingy, fun flavor.  My husband and daughter both asked for seconds.

Glaze & Dressing:
1/3 Cup Pepper Jelly
1/3 Cup Red Wine Vinegar

Save 1/2 of this for the dressing.  Put the other half in a separate bowl and use that for the glaze.  The dressing is just the glaze whisked with about 1/4 C olive oil.

2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts

Salt & pepper the chicken and grill it until almost done then coat liberally with the glaze.  This is a sticky mess on the grill and makes a bit of smoke.  But I don't man the grill so that's kind of "not my problem"  ;)

The salad:
1 pkg of baby spinach, washed & crisped in the fridge
1 handful golden raisins or Craisins
1 8 oz pkg of Goat Cheese (or blue or feta - whatever is handy)
1/2 C Kalamata olives
1 apple, sliced into matchsticks

The dressing is similar to the glaze from the chicken but I whisk in about 1/4 C olive oil to cut the intensity.  


No comments:

Post a Comment